Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business
(Online Learning Mode)
- This course is designed to help students gradually develop various business knowledge in depth.
- Students are able to solve the various problems and face challenges related to business operations.
- It prepares students well for their future work.
- In addition to academic knowledge, the course also nurtures generic skills of students in developing their career.
- It cultivates students’ flexibility and innovation skills to meet the ever-changing needs of the business world.
- BTEC HND Diploma in Business holders can progress to the BA (Hons) Business Enterprise (Final Year) or BA (Hons) Marketing Management (Final Year) offered by the University College Birmingham (UCB) and awarded by the University of Brimingham (UoB). Students can choose to study in Hong Kong or the United Kingdom.
- The BTEC HND Diploma is recognized by the 8 local Universities and more than 200 overseas Universities.
Online Learner Expectation
BTEC online course is designed for the independent, mature and self-motivated learners. To successfully complete the BTEC online course, you are expected to do the following:
- You should reflect your level of readiness carefully on whether you can manage the subjects you enrolled in an online environment.
- When you enrolled in the particular subject, you are expected to spend at least 150 hours to study the assigned online reading materials, complete the assigned activities, read articles from academic journals and learn new insights or practices from the websites of professional bodies.
- Ideally, you spend 3-4 hours every day to study all the learning materials listed in the scheme of work.
- You should also examine the course outlines and understand the requirements of learning outcomes of each subject.
- It is highly recommended that you make appointments with our academic staff for assignment guidance. This free-of-charge face-to-face tutorial helps you how to interpret the assignment tasks and respond the assessment words.
Online Learner Attributes – To become a good independent learner you need to have the following skills:
Motivation skill – To be successful in your studies you need to be motivated. You should set a goal to complete an assignment and break your assignment into small parts. It is easier to make the work more manageable. If you have confidence in doing your assignment, you will get motivated.
Time management skill – Managing your time is a key element in online learning. The scheme of work for each subject guides you how many time you need to complete your study. You may have busy lives which sometimes conflict with your study plans. You should set a timetable and make a ‘to do’ list every day for your enrolled subject. It will help you use your time wisely.
Independent and Initiative skills – As an online learner, you should be less reliance on the teacher to provide the knowledge. It is important for you to seek out other sources of obtaining the necessary contents or skills. You must take initiative to find other resources from institutions and professional organizations to learn concepts in a specialized area.
Writing skills – It is always a good practice to revise your English language mistakes such as spelling punctuation and grammar before submission of your assignments. To avoid these errors, it is important to get someone to look at everything you have written. Developing a good report writing skill will help you produce high quality assignments. It is also be useful in your professional life after studying this BTEC course.
- Completion of Form 6 under New Academic Structure (NAS); or
- Completion of Yi Jin Diploma; or
- Completion of Form 7; or
- Aged over 20 with 1 year of relevant work experience (Interview may be needed)
- Applicants may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). The application fee is HK$1,000 per subject.
English Language Requirment
- Students will need to have CEFR B2, IELTS 5.5 including Reading and Writing at 5.5; or equivalent upon exit to the course. Students may use Password to meet the requirement.
Why choose Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals?
Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals are designed to help students secure the knowledge skills and behaviours needed to succeed in the workplace. They represent the latest in professional standards and provide opportunities for students to develop behaviours for work, for example by undertaking a group project, or responding to a client brief. A student may even achieve exemption from professional or vendor qualifications, or student membership of selected professional bodies, to help them on their journey to professional competence.
At the same time the BTEC Higher Nationals are intended to keep doors open for future study should a student wish to progress further in their education after their level 5 study. They do this by allowing space for the development of higher education study skills, such as the ability to research. Clear alignment of level of demand with the Framework for Higher Education qualification descriptors at level 4 and 5 means that students wishing to progress to level 6 study should feel better prepared. The BTEC Higher Nationals address these various requirements by providing:
- A range of general and specialist units, both core and optional, each with a clear purpose, so there is something to suit each student’s choice of programme and future progression plans.
- Fully revised content that is closely aligned with the needs of employers,professional bodies and higher education for a skilled future workforce.
- Learning outcomes mapped against Professional Body standards, where appropriate.
- Assessments and projects chosen to help students progress to the next stage (this means some are set by the centre to meet local needs, while others are set by Pearson).
- An approach to demand at level 4 and 5 which is aligned with the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ).
- Support for student and tutors including Schemes of Work and Sample Assessment Materials (SAMs)
The BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) is one of Pearson’s international qualifications. Pearson is the world’s leading learning company which provides world-class academic and applied learning qualifications, vocational qualifications and examinations. BTEC courses come with unique teaching resources and provide strong and practical pathway opportunies for students. All qualifications of Pearson are supported by their international network of professional staff as well as the London head office. Course outlines are designed in close collaboration with industry experts and updated frequently, so that students can recieve the latest academic and industry information.
BTEC HNDs are recognised and accredited by the UK’s Regulated Qualification Framework (RQF) at its Level 5 which is comparable to that of Associate Degree and Higher Diploma in Hong Kong. BTEC’s vocational qualification programmes have a leading position in world-wide personnel training. These programmes are designed to provide vocational training that cater to the needs of different industries. The training sets the foundation for continuing education and career development for students.